Since tree-ripe mango has overtaken even tree-ripe peaches as my favorite fruit in all the wide world, I was ecstatic to find some at the farmersâ€™ market last weekend. I peeled the skin off one, gobbled it up, and was very sad when it was gone. :-( So I picked up the pit and â€¦kind ofâ€¦nibbled the remaining fruit off it. Then I did the same with the peel.
(Okay. Really I was just being a piggy and scraped all the flesh off with my teeth and slurped it up, but â€œnibbleâ€ sounds so much nicerâ€¦.)
Well, today I have lips three times their normal size, and I had to go get a prescription for steroids from my doc because I was afraid my poor puckers would pop. They look like those of some body-dysmorphic celebutante who went crazy with the collagen and then got punched in the mouth. They hurt!!
(And in case some silly teenager reading this thinks it might be a nifty idea to get an Angelina Jolie pout by mouthing a mango, I assure you that the suppurating rash that accompanies the puffiness would be a big turnoff to anyone within an intimate distance. Ick. Seriously.)
Anyway, if youâ€™re allergic to poison ivy, oak, or sumac, be really careful with mango peel. You can eat the fruit itselfâ€”just use gloves to peel it, and donâ€™t get the skin near your mouth.
Better yet, let some nonallergic sweetie peel it, and feed it to you in tiny pieces. :-)